Located right next to the Camping de la Plage, Carnac conjures up images o f its ancient past, and yet is very much in the present.
Whilst steeped in prehistory, Carnac is also a lively seaside resort. Visitors come to the town for its historical interest and for the sense of well-being its procures.
The megalithic site has more than 4000 standing stones and dolmens. Carnac’s museum is well-known, as is its spa centre, along with the casino, restaurants and nightclubs.
Carnac Plage,along the Grande Plage and the beaches of Légenèse and Saint-Colomban, which comes to life in Spring and which in fine weather becomes the place where young people meet up.
Bars and restaurants, a sailing club, nightclubs,a casino and a spa centre… there is something for everyone, certainly something to suit all of the family on holiday.
© Oeil de Paco
Carnac Ville One kilometre or so inland, Carnac Ville does not appear to have changed much for the last couple of centuries. In the heart of the town, lie the fine church of Saint Cornély and the famous Musée de la Préhistoire (museum of prehistory). A lively market is held twice a week.
In July and August, there is a special evening market (Thursday evenings), offering local produce, lots of colour and gaiety, a market much appreciated by locals as well as holiday makers.
The third side to Carnac, and no doubt the most authentic feature of all, is the megalith site and villages huddled around the many chapels, bearing witness to the strength and history of the Christian faith in the area. A network of foot paths and old coachroads cover the area, perfect for walking, horseriding and cycling.
Carnac by bike or on foot...
Various marked hiking trails, between 7 and 15 kilometres long, allow you to travel around Carnac and its surroundings.
They follow beachline, the coastal path (the "Chemin des douaniers") or take you on a historical trip to meet the megaliths, the salt marshes, chapels and typical Breton villages ...
Do you want to better know the history of Carnac?
In town, guided walks on the old villas on the seafront of Carnac Plage are offered, and in the countryside, guided tours allow you to walk among the multi-mile-long standing stones alignments.
Ready to discover Carnac by bike?
Easy ! We offer bike rentals for children and adults for the day, and a few hundred metres from the campsite, a cycle path will take you all the way to Carnac.
- The museum of prehistory to learn everything, or almost everything, about the mysteries of the megaliths ...
- The typical Breton village of Saint Colomban with its chapel and healing fountain
- The Grande Plage and its two kilometres of fine sand
- Miln Avenue, its shops and its famous Igloo ice cream parlor, which is renowned for its 180 different flavors !
- The standing stones alignments and the old mill of Kermario which offers an elevated point of view on the megalithic site: a very good "spot" for your souvenir photos!
- The Manio Giant (Géant du Manio) : the tallest menhir in Carnac at 6.5 metres...
- Saint Michel tumulus and its chapel which overlook all the area and offer a beautiful panorama !